Sept 24th 2016
First and foremost… Welcome to the 2016 Tesla Hertz Run. If this is your first or repeat we’re stoked to have you aboard. Apologies for the late email , we’ve had a new addition to the family and she decided to come a little earlier than planned so kind of threw a wrench in everything. Going to try to get the website 100% current over the next few days. Though it’s fairly accurate. For right now, this email is going to be the most current bit of info.
Hope all of you are deep into taper and taper tantrums or mildly stressing over what you’ve gotten yourself into. If you’re not, you will soon enough.
RACE INFO –
· There is NO overnight camping. Sorry this isn’t our policy it’s NYS DEC. Though while the race is going on, it’s technically not “camping” so your crew is welcome to hang.
· Parking will be across the street (as per the website) there is a map on there to show you where to park. It’s a little bit of a ways to the start line. If you’re running a decent distance something with wheels will help. Some sort of wagon will save you from carrying things.
· Packet pick up will start 1 hour before your race time is set to go off. So if your race starts at 7am, please keep in mind that we’ve got other races going off before yours, so let’s get them out on course and then we can get yours going.
· Race times on the site are all correct, and will go off on time.
· The Race you toe the line for, is the race you must complete. So, say you want to drop from the 100m to the 100k, you must do so BEFORE you start. Once you start you’re a 100m runner and anything less than 100 miles, gets you a DNF.
· Trails will be well marked with pink flags and reflectors . Anyone who’s been here knows they’re perhaps OVER marked. ( except for that one turn J )
· Aid stations will have normal aid station affair – sodas, chips, pretzels, potatoes, salt etc. During the day and at night we’ll serve up some hot stuff at North Country ( start/finish) We’d really like to get as close to cupless as possible this year. Pretty easily done, if you bring your own cup, we can keep a spot for you.
· Will have Tailwind for a drink and some honey stinger gels/chews Keep in mind that we might not have a tremendous amount of them, please be sure to bring some for yourself.
· If there’s any special food requests feel free to email Nichole@happilyrunning.com and we will do our best to get it for you.
· DROP BAGS – There will be a tent at the Start/Finish area with a tarp under it so you can place any drop bags you’ll need there. Though there is ample room for you to set up a small area for yourself as well. If you need something at whiskey girl, we can get it down there for you if you have a crew that’s going to head down there might be best to have them do it.
We’re really happy to have you folks come out and run, Nichole and I started this race out of love for ultrarunning and while more and more races are popping up , this one is still able to stay small enough that we can take care of each and everyone one of you, but large enough that it’s still do able. I hope to shake e every one of your hands as you cross the finish line. We’ve got enough medals for each of you that are signed up. 100 milers every one of you has a buckle here waiting for you to take it home. Please if you have any questions reach out, we want to help and want to hear from you. If you know anyone that would like to help during the race we can sure use it this year [ Nichole will be home taking care of the new addition ]
Lastly – we leave you with this –
“Perhaps the genius of ultrarunning is its supreme lack of utility. It makes
no sense in a world of space ships and supercomputers to run vast distances
on foot. There is no money in it and no fame, frequently not even the
approval of peers. But as poets, apostles and philosophers have insisted
from the dawn of time, there is more to life than logic and common sense.
The ultra runners know this instinctively. And they know something else that
is lost on the sedentary. They understand, perhaps better than anyone, that
the doors to the spirit will swing open with physical effort. In running
such long and taxing distances they answer a call from the deepest realms of
their being — a call that asks who they are …”
– David Blaikie
More to come in the next two weeks … – Nichole & Vinny